Saturday 22 November 2014

Lemon thyme fish

There's a family story I am always reminded of when I make fish. As a toddler, my Dad used to go fishing quite frequently and for some unknown reason I fell in love with a particular type of fish. A yellow belly fish to be exact (technically Golden Perch), or, as I used to call it a 'lellabelly'. Often as he came home from a day of fishing, I would immediately pester him "Daddy you bring me a lellabelly?!" If the answer was yes, I was of course delighted, but if the answer was no I would cry, sook and sulk. Not even a consolation of "but sweetie look I caught you these big red fins!", could make it better. Thankfully, I'm now older (and hopefully a bit wiser) and love most kinds of fish and seafood but this marinade in particular has been making frequent appearances on my dinner table. This spring, pink ling has been my 'go to' fish for this recipe, although I hope that soon I'll get a chance to try it with some 'lellabelly'!

  
Lemon thyme fish
Prep time:10  Cooking time:10 minutes  Serves: 4



Ingredients:
  • 4 fillets of your chosen fish either fresh or fully thawed (I used pink ling)
  • 1 cup of plain flour
  • A small bunch of lemon thyme 
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 tsp dried thyme leaves 
  • 2 tsp onion salt
  • 2 tsp garlic salt
  • Cracked pepper to season 
  • Oil for frying 

Method:

1. Combine flour, onion salt, garlic salt and a generous amount of cracked pepper on a large plate. 

2. Finely chop lemon thyme and combine with lemon juice and a dash of olive oil.



3. Prepare a frying pan with oil on place on medium to high heat. As the pan is heating, place the fish in the flour mixture and liberally coat both sides 




4. Place fish into the pan and cook until the side that is down is a rich golden brown, and then flip.




5. Once the fish is flipped, spoon on some of the lemon thyme mixture on top. Only placing it on one side makes sure that while the flavour still sinks in to the fish, it is overpowering and the outer of the fish still stays relatively crisp. 




6. Cook until the other side of the fish is golden brown and crisp, adding more oil between fillets as necessary and serve with sides of your choosing. 



























No comments:

Post a Comment